August Commodore's newsletter
Published 09:26 on 13 Aug 2021
I trust you have all been as enthused as I was by the British sailing team medal haul from the recent Tokyo Olympics: 3 Gold, 1 silver and 1 Bronze. An achievement made all the greater by the past months of restriction which thankfully is now being eased. With that said, I have been encouraged to put together our very own Olympic-style programme of events to celebrate 75 years of club history here at Budworth.
The finale of our Midweek sailing will kick off the celebrations on Wednesday 25th August. It will feature a 1 hour sailing Pursuit race. Racing for all competitors starts 7pm prompt. Post racing, at 9pm the Trophy winners announcement will be accompanied by a complementary slice of Pizza in the bar for all attendees.
Olympic style Celebration weekend
Budworth Sailing Club was formed as an Inland Sailing Club in 1946, only 50 years after the very first of the Modern Olympics. To celebrate Budworth's 75th year of sailing, the Commodores Weekend will span Friday 27th to Sunday 29th August.
- Friday 27th: grab a pitch for your tent or motorhome in the Eastern Dinghy Park to ensure you get pole position for the celebrations. Enjoy a drink in the bar, socialise with friends to the build up to the weekend
- Saturday 28th Pirates day. A full family fun-packed day of shore-based activities and sailing run by Captains Black Beard and Red Beard (Rob Murphy and Mark Antonelli) Starts around 11am
- Our Saturday evening celebration with BBQ and live entertainment features 'Elephant Juice' a bonfire PLUS a pyrotechnic delight of fireworks.
Invite your friends and family and purchase tickets via:
Sunday 29th - Club Trophy day. The racing programme comprises:- ·
1. Budworth Belle and Crews race 11.00 start for:
- Budworth Belle ladies race for both adult and junior
- Crew's Tankard Winner of the crew's race·
- Okell cup - Winner of the pursuit race
- Veteran (over 50) plus Super Veteran (over 60) trophies
- Champion Helm plus Junior Champion Helm trophies
Flying the Flag
To close the celebrations, Budworth Sailing Club will be opening its doors and waters to showcase the club with an Open Day from 10am to 4pm Monday 30th August. Visitors will be shown around our facilities and encouraged to try out sailing with one of our members in one of the clubs class of boats. If you would like to help with flying the flag and share your love of Budworth Sailing Club with visitors, contact our Vice Commodore, Hugh Attfield, to offer your services or boat.
Our sailing club now celebrates three UK National Sailing champions of its own.
- UK National 505 dinghy sailing Champion Geoff Edwards (Crew)
- GP14 UK National Youth Championships Emily Page (Helm) & Mathew Williams (Crew)
The stalwart Abersochies from Budworth's membership made their annual migration to Abersoch over the week of Sunday 25th to Friday 30th July. Members went in both a sailing and non-sailing capacity to hone their sea sailing skills and participate in social racing on briny waters. Next year will be the 50th anniversary of this annual event on 24th 29th July 2022. Rented accommodation is already booking up fast by those intending to attend.
Recognition of Excellence
Budworth Sailing Club's RYA RTC (Registered Training Centre) accreditation is expected to be formalised in the coming days. As Commodore, I was pleased to meet the RYA inspector on Thursday 22nd July along with Budworth's Training Centre Principle and both Senior Instructors. We were pleased with the verbal feedback which included the statement that Budworth was "the best sailing establishment he had ever examined". It now remains only for the RTC accreditation confirmation paperwork to be officially issued and received from the RYA. Well done to all those who have worked to make this possible. This will allow us to run fully accredited RYA Training programmes for adults and juniors. These will include sailing and power boat certifications leading us to be viewed by existing and potential new members as a highly reputable and professional training establishment.
Apart from normal Junior Training at 9.30 on the Saturday, the weekend of 18th and 19th September will be reserved for members participating in our Snipe Open. Contact Robin Mister, Snipe Class Captain if you want to try sailing at this event and need to borrow a boat.
Wishing you all great joy and success throughout this month of celebrations and racing.